undefined

Monday, March 2, 2009

Long (Well sort of) Training Run #13

Due to some scheduling and family illness issues I did not take part in the FitCorp training run this weekend. This turned out to be a disappointment and an unexpected blessing. The disappointing aspect is I didn't get to do the 10.5 miles run from the Woodside T stop to One Beacon Street. You regular readers know I love this run as it goes over the Newton Hills, and it usually produces some of my best paces. But oh the blessings!

First, it felt good to change things up a bit. Running on a Sunday instead of a Saturday. Taking my time getting ready instead of rushing out the door. Having the Garmin grab a signal quickly instead of fighting to get one. Running wherever I wanted to go instead of having a set course. The only plan I had was to head from home towards Karen's office, as I know there are hills between here and there.

Second, it started to lightly flurry snow when I started out. Light snowfall in New England is an amazing thing. Cars disappear from the roads, the world becomes quieter, and prettier. It becomes just the runner, alone with your thoughts. I didn't realize it, but I missed having that aspect of running. Not always, but it has it's place. The only other runner I saw was near the Muffin House, we traded knowing smiles of having the world to ourselves.

I did end up cutting the run a little short, and running a route back that I normally wouldn't, as around mile 7 I realized the roads would be getting slippery soon.

You can view this week's run here

Thanks this week to Lisa Nelson for sponsoring me and supporting the Eaton-Peabody Lab. Don't forget, you can donate by clicking on the Firstgiving link on the right. Clicking on the ads on this page also produce a small amount that I will be giving to MEEI and the Eaton-Peabody.

Finally, I'm happy to announce the details of the Fundraising Event. It will be April 2, 2009, starting at 7 pm at The Greatest Bar. Click here to view the e-vite and RSVP.

2 comments:

Steph said...

The Muffin House? Tell me more! Did you get the invite from The BAA for the 5k the day before the marathon? Think I'll be passing on that one!

wljcr said...

LOL - That was runner brain talking. It sounds a little dirty the way I called it, huh?

It is called The Gingerbread Construction Company and they have the best dessert for breakfast muffins in the world, especially the gingerbread ones. I try to convince myself that the carrot cake ones are good for me. Here is the link to their website. http://www.gingerbreadusa.com/

I'm skipping the 5K also. I only want to cross that finish line after 26.2 thank you very much. But I did send the information on to friends who aren't running this year or who haven't worked up to a marathon yet. $40 bucks, ouch!