undefined

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

FitCorp Training Run #16

Ok, I give up. I have idea what to expect during this year's marathon. Some weeks just fly by and other weeks it feels like I have had to fight for every inch. So here is what I have decided - The 2009 Boston Marathon will not be my attempt at a personal record. There are plenty of other marathons during the year for that. The 2009 Boston Marathon will be conducted grandpa Rufus style which means:

  • Enjoy the experience.
  • Enjoy the company of friends.
  • Smile at the children.
  • Help others.

Of course if I feel great on April 20th and can do all of the above and set a personal record all the better!

I haven't done it yet, but watch this week for a special post about grandpa Rufus. March 13th would have been his birthday for which I wanted to write a special post, but I just haven't had the stomach to yet. I'll be sharing some of the memories of grandpa people have been kind enough to share with me over the past 3 years. Thank you all for sharing them with me, they really do make the miles go easier.

This week's run was a choice of a 10 or 12 miler. Since I cut last week short I went for the 12 miles which was a run out to BC and back. All in all we'll count it as a good run. My average time on the way out was great and everything felt fine.

On the way back I had the opportunity to talk to a group I've seen on the course for the last month or so. I've been wanting to speak with them as they all look young and they run wearing bright orange singlets that say Dreamfar. I've been wondering who they are and what they are running for.

It turns out they are high schools students at Newton South High School and they are training for the Providence marathon. Best I can tell from my conversation with them is they are running a marathon to do it. If you see them out on a Saturday morning cheer them on.

Back to me. On the way back I started to run out of steam a bit, but still finished the run with a reasonable time and everything still working. On to 21 miles this coming Saturday!

Feel free to review this week's run by clicking here.

I have many people to thank this week. Thanks to Grandpa Peg, Laurie Kelley, Bob Giunta, Gabrielle Ward Beeler, and Kirk for sponsoring me and supporting the Eaton-Peabody Lab. I would also like to thank Doris and Dave for donating a puzzle that brought in $200 via eBay! Don't forget, you can donate by clicking on the Firstgiving link on the right or by attending my Fundraising Event. It will be April 2, 2009, starting at 7 pm at The Greatest Bar. Click here to view the e-vite and RSVP. Clicking on the ads on this page also produce a small amount that I will be giving to MEEI and the Eaton-Peabody.

No comments: