undefined

Sunday, December 7, 2008

FitCorp Training Run #1

Yesterday was the first training run through FitCorp. You could run either 6,8, or 10 miles and being the hyper runner I sometimes am, I went for the ten. It was perfect running weather for me. Low 30s, almost no wind, sunny. As you may know, I'm not a big fan of sweating, so anytime I can run and it is cold enough that I don't feel the sweat is ok by me. My gear for the day was my Red Sox running hat, Frosty Four long sleeve shirt, fleece vest, New Balance shorts, freebie Marathon Sports gloves, and of course socks and shoes.

I'm a bit like a kid of Christmas the mornings of these runs and was up by 5:40 to have breakfast and start getting ready. Keep in mind the run is at 8, they open the doors at 7:45 and it takes me all of 10-15 minutes to get there. My fuel of choice was coffee and toast with honey. I was out the door by 7:10. At One Beacon I met Steve (excuse me if I get the name wrong, I'm horrible at names) for whom this will be his 13th Boston, and first in 10 years. Just as cool, he is fast, and my guess is he'll be able to qualify for next year's marathon when he runs this one. He is running for Boston Medical. Speaking of causes, there were the normal teams from last year's runs at FitCorp - Team Brigham, Team BMC, Team Liver, Tedy's Team, and of course Team Eye and Ear. It is terrific to see so many people giving of themselves to support such great causes. Shameless plug - you can support mine by clicking here.

As for the run - I started late as I went to start the GPS on my Garmin too early. That made it that I had to stop and restart the GPS before I started. The good news is I did get it to work and you can click the link below to play back my run. Once I finally did get started it felt like I never stopped training from last year. The course is so familiar at this point that it was like I was on autopilot. Before I knew it I was at the turnaround point and heading back. The highlight/lowlights along the way; Will they ever be done with the construction in Kenmore Square, kids doing the walk of shame going back to their dorms while you run past them full of energy, there is a condo building in Brookline that still has 2 units left (just like last year!), getting to the turn-around point and still feeling fresh, passing people who started earlier (I'm a big fan of each person running at their own pace, but I still like catching and passing), and finally getting up the State House hill at the end of the run. Last year it was quite a few runs before I could run all the way up the hill, so I'm already ahead of where I was last year. You can replay the run and view the route using the Garmin Link at the end of this post. As it turns out the run was only about 9.75 miles. You can ask Karen how that went over with me.

So long run #1 is done and went well. I was a bit tried by the end of the day, but I'll calling it a success. Thanks again to everyone at FitCorp who organizes and supports these runs.

FitCorp Training Run#1

No comments: