undefined

Sunday, January 4, 2009

FitCorp Training Run #5

As with many things, the best way to get over a bad run is by getter out there again and having a better one. Thus the plan for this week's run was born.

1. Feel Better - Check!
2. Remember all of my gear - Check, I packed my bag the night before.
3. Fuel up - Check, a bowl of pasta the night before and water during the week.

All this led up to me feeling really good Saturday morning. A feeling that only got better with the number of returning familiar faces at FitCorp. For example the doctor from BWH and the woman who runs extra miles to prepare for the marathon. Lastly, JD, who is a friend from high school who I haven't seen in twenty years, is also training for this year's marathon and was at the run. So we had the T ride to Newton to catch up. I'll look forward to seeing him most weeks.

Not a news flash, I know, but I'm a bit strange. I get a kick out of the training runs that cover the Newton Hills as this week's run did. As you'll see on the Garmin playback, this week's run starts at the T stop near Newton Wellesley Hospital and is a one way course back to FitCorp at One Beacon Street. It basically follows the marathon course from mile 17, over the Newton Hills including Heartbreak, into Boston, and splits off course in Kenmore Square.

I'm happy to report this week's run was fantastic. Everything felt great, held together, and I came in at a 10:08 average which was just about on target. Interestingly, I averaged a better pace thru the hills than I did in the flats of Boston. So I still haven't perfected the art of a negative split.

Here is the playback for this week's FitCorp Training Run #5.

Thank you this week to Laurie Redmond for supporting me, the Eaton-Peabody Lab, and volunteering during the marathon at the mile 10 water stop. The Marathon volunteers are the great unsung heroes of the day. They get up as early, or earlier, than the runners, and are also there no matter what the weather is. I encourage all runners to thank as many of them as you can.

Until the next post,

Bill

No comments: