undefined

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Where does the time go?

It seems like yesterday that I finished the 2010 Boston Marathon, and yet here we are in countdown mode for the 2011 event.

Quick recap of the 2010 Boston Marathon - I had the pleasure of running most of the race with several other Team Eye and Ear runners. When I hit the wall I kept going, even when it meant walking. I knew I would get to the finish, even if it wasn't with a personal record time. It was great to be able to finish.

Post-marathon I decided to take a break from running and limited myself to a few favorite events. The mental break was good, but the effect on my fitness level was alarming. I had to walk parts of the Harpoon 5-miler. But with the occasional 5K here and there I kept my legs moving during the summer.

November came and it was time to start training for Boston. Things were going well, core workouts, adding miles, and then Thanksgiving morning



I was going to the basement to get something, stepped off the stair, onto a shoe, and the ankle rolled. At first I thought it was going to be serious, Karen wanted to take me to the hospital, but I quickly found that it would bear weight. When I finally went to the doctor about it he referred to it as a small tear and instructed me 1. it is more likely to happen again, 2. Training is fine, but go slow, and 3. give it more support.

So training this year is off to a very slow go. Longest run so far has been 10 miles when I'd like it to be 14-16. My speed makes turtles look fast. Both very discouraging.

But then I remember why I'm doing this. It isn't for a personal record. It isn't for personal glory. It is in memory of someone who dealt with Parkinson's disease for more than a decade and only complained once. It puts the small setback of the ankle in perspective.

No comments: